I have been stressed lately.
Too much to do, too little time.
Even though I just took a mini vacation to New York for 5 days, it wasn't really much relaxation, and when I got back, the amount I needed to do had doubled, and the amount of time I had in which to do it had halved.
So I've been dreaming of an opportunity to just lie around all day doing nothing, a time I could just give myself permission to chill.
Be careful what you ask for, or life will bite you in the ass.
I have been sick as a dog for the past week.
A horrible coughing virus thing. My symptoms - a hacking cough that sounds as if I have tuberculosis and am about to hack up a chunk of lung, a low-grade (99.9 - 101 degree) fever, nasal congestion, a headache, and a fuzzy brain that has left me completely unable to focus, and yet too busy to relax and let me sleep. The good news? I got me some excellent codeine cough medicine. The bad news? The doctor says that since it's viral, the only thing I can really do is just lie in bed and let my body get over it.
And so, that is what I have been doing. Just lying around. "Relaxing"
This is not easy for someone who constantly feels that they're playing catch up. I am just not someone who can lie in bed all day. I've never even been able to take naps. It's just not in my nature.
So what have I been doing all this time? Hmmm...prepare yourself for a fascinating week...
- Took 21 hot showers. That's 3 a day for 7 days. Steaming seems to make me stop hacking for a few minutes.
- Made it all the way to Level 41 in the game Candy Crush Saga on Facebook. Quite an achievement.
- Despite its iffy reviews, watched the entire first season of that new Netflix series Hemlock Grove. I liked it, it's a lot of fun - very stylish and well-written. Even though it has far too much teen sex and gore. And it suffers from what I think of as the Shot-in-Canada Syndrome, which most tv sci-fi shows have - shows which are supposed to take place somewhere in the US, but all of the smaller roles are played by bad Canadian day-players who can't act and speak with distinctly Canadian accents.
- Watched half of the first season of the show Continuum before turning it off because I couldn't take it any more. This makes me feel guilty, because we're friends with the writer/executive producer. But it has too many machine-gun shoot-em-ups, and over-the-top fight sequences - you know, when the main character will fight some bad guy for 10 minutes of non-stop violence, 1 minute of which would kill somebody in real life, and they come out of it with a butterfly bandage and a black eye. It's stupid. And it also suffers from the Shot-in-Canada bad day-players syndrome. I started begging for the minor characters to get killed off so I wouldn't have to watch them any more.
- Consumed about 10 gallons of coconut water. I do not exaggerate. My doctor told me to drink a lot of coconut water because it is really good for hydrating the lungs and is full of potassium, and I may have gone a little coconut water crazy.
- During a codeine-induced dream, I conceived an entire television pilot. My high-concept pitch is "Boardwalk Empire meets Breaking Bad meets Friday Night Lights". I'd watch that, wouldn't you?! Now I just have to actually write it, and we'll be rich, rich, rich!
- Not only made excellent progress on my tiny virtual farm in Farmville, but I actually started a brand new farm using a pseudonym! So if Bobbi Jones asks to be your Zynga friend, it's me!
- Ate nothing but Trader Joe's microwavable frozen foods. As did my family.
- Did not read at all.
So as you see, it's been a busy and productive week. Not. I am actually dying to get up and do some cooking and cleaning and laundry, so you know it must be bad.
As you can imagine, this was not my original plan for a "Relaxation" spin. But such is life.
Have you been "relaxing" lately?
More rather relaxed spinners...Vandy J at The Testosterone Three and Me
Next week on The Spin Cycle...
Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy
Considering we tend to be a cynical bunch around here, this one might be tough. Or not. But I'm feeling that after this last week of hacking and aching, I could use a little joy and happiness, so let's go for it.
It's all hearts and flowers and sweetness and love around here next week.
What makes you happy? What gives you joy? That seems simple enough, right?
You write it. Post it. Tell me. I'll link it.
Come back next Friday for my spin on "Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy" and to discover the next week's Spin Topic.
And don't be afraid to ask to be added to my Spin Cycle Topic reminder email!
Share your spin!
Highlight the code.
Copy to your HTML.
Et voila! Linked!