Camp Mama 2011 has officially come to a close. I feel that despite the fact that the child ended up in both an infirmary...
and an emergency room...
...the summer went fairly well. Don't you?
And it was fast, wasn't it? Is it like that for everybody? One week you're wondering how the hell you're going to entertain your kid for the whole long, grueling summer and the next week they're off to Third Grade in their brand spanking new school uniform. Brand spanking new because Jude suddenly and drastically outgrew ALL of his old uniforms. Ergh.
So...my summer, in brief. Hmmm. I think it's time for some bullet points...
- The token rewards program was mostly successful. It actually got Jude to do something with his life beyond whining that he wanted to watch the stupid television. He actually did some reading, and finished about half of his Summer Bridge Activities book. The Summer Bridge Activities book has become something of a joke between us. Now, every time he starts to whine that he's bored and has nothing to do, I suggest he could always do a couple of pages in his Summer Bridge Activities book, and he screams "Noooooooo!!!" rather dramatically and runs from the room.
- I have now officially had enough of the camping. Enough. Of. The. Camping. That said...we have another Cub Scout campout on September 10.
- I have now officially NOT had enough of all those high-brow British TV shows I've been obsessively watching on Netflix. I just can't get enough of those sexy Brits. I stopped sharing my favorites with y'all because I kind of started to worry that you'd think I'd lost my mind. Over the last couple of months, I've watched every single episode of - "Sherlock", "Luther", "Collision", "Place of Execution", "The Last Enemy" and "Jekyll", and I'm on Episode 4 of "George Gently". Too much? You think? Nah!
- Last Friday, I FINALLY made it to a Beach Friday! Woot! As many of you may remember from summers past, Beach Friday is the standing beach date that Jude and I look forward to every year – about 20 moms and 40 kids who always meet at the same beach at the same time every Friday throughout the summer. But through a series of strange twists of fate (camping, New York, working commercial jobs, child with stitches across his face) I had missed them ALL (though Jude had gone a couple of times, in the company of friends) until last week. What fun! Man, I had missed this group. Especially now that Jude is “Water Boy” and will just hang out and boogie board with his friends, and I don’t have to worry about him too much. I can just sit and sun myself and gossip. Nice. We’ll have one last Beach Friday this week and I’m DETERMINED for us to be there.
- I have been told that I now have a tan. As in “Wow, look at you! You’re all tan!” Isn’t that wacky? I haven’t had an actual, REAL tan since about 1991, or whenever it was decided that the sun ages you. Notice that my motivation for avoiding the sun was not CANCER, but fear of wrinkles. And I must admit that I’m not really very tan, just more tan than my usual pasty self.
- Jude’s best playdate of the summer? Last week, he had his friend A.J. over. After playing their way through all the games on the Wii, they finally decided they were bored of it and went outside to play. Let me repeat myself, in a slightly louder voice. THEY GOT BORED OF THE WII AND CHOSE TO PLAY OUTSIDE. This is a previously unheard of phenomenon. It was a hot day. After a while, they ran in the house, started laughing hysterically, peeled all of their clothes off, ran back out into the backyard and started jumping naked on the trampoline. I, rather subversively, snuck outside, attached the sprayer nozzle to the hose, and blasted them with water. They went crazy. They were jumping. They were wet and muddy. They were naked. It was like Woodstock. After A.J. left, Jude turned to me and breathlessly stated "Best. Playdate. Ever."
- Even after all that hiking at Cub Scout Camp, even after all those pilates classes, I didn’t lose ANY weight all summer. Maybe next year I’ll make it into that bikini. NOT.
Okay, so that’s what I did during my summer vacation. And since that just happens to be the theme of the Spin Cycle this week…
PLEASE run on over to Sprite's Keeper to find out how everybody else spent their summer vacations.